This or That in RPGs

GNS and the Big Model

TTRPGs consist of three pillars, Gamism (use mechanics to have an enjoyable game), Narrativism (tell an interesting story), and Simulationism (create a credible story). Players can enjoy each to lesser or greater degrees, and some games are better at some than others, or are generally recognized as such.

I recently realized that I like the Gamist part of games to be light enough that I can get down to playing pretty quickly, the Narrativist part is something I try to contribute to, and Simulationism means adhering to genre conventions, not trying to overturn them.

GNS Theory at the RPG Museum

Challenge versus Genre

The most important thing in some games is to maintain the expectations of the genre, so that the story that is created seems appropriate. In other games, the genre informs some things, but the most important thing is to have fun in whatever way drives the characters to achieve their own goals.

I don't think I really care about challenge in TTRPGs, I feel it's all a make believe-world anyway, there's nothing at stake so it's just about telling a story together.


Detailed versus Light

For whatever type of fun a person likes to have, there is a sweet spot of how much of that activity is optimal. Many players like combat in TTRPGs, but some like long epic battles, while others like many brief skirmishes. Some players like to have conversations with NPCs, but some of those like long conversations that fill a session, while others like shorter ones.

I like a light touch, not a huge amount of detail for any given aspect of a game.

Runehammer video about detail


Baggage versus Original

When a new campaign starts, you can have everyone involved add their ideas for content to the shared pool that makes up the fictional setting. Some players have a tendency to add things that are the tip of an iceberg though, and the one thing that they add brings in a lot of other implied content. The alternative is to leave things vague, with the minimum of details, and make everything original. If your backstory says you're on the run from Lolth well that suggests there are Drow, gods, and probably an underdark and surface elves as well. If your backstory says you're on the run, then any of those elements could still be present, but they don't need to be present.

I hate baggage. I hate when other people bring in a lot of superfluous history on a whim and then it never goes anywhere. I want details to be important, not just fluff. If it's just fluff, then leave it vague.


Freedom versus Railroad

Plan what happens next, or find out what happens next? Each can be good, each can be hated by someone. Real campaigns tend to have a mix of both. I think problems occur here because players aren't aware of when they're on a railroad and should enjoy the ride, or are free to explore the possibilities.

I don't think I mind about this, I just want to know whether my actions right now actually matter or not. If not I can have fun in the moment, if they do I can think about the consequences.


I'm Having Fun versus Why Do You Keep Showing Up?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The problem is when one person at the table thinks it is broken, so they want to fix it. If you're enjoying the game, you won't want someone else pushing for changes. This is a matter of getting a group of people together who enjoy their shared activity. If I got the best five musicians in the world together to make music, I might find they don't actually play that well together. Just because my buddies like to drink beer and watch sports together doesn't mean we'll enjoy D&D or WoD together. In fact even if we do all enjoy the current D&D campaign together, we won't necessarily all enjoy the next one. Each person is a complicated collection of wants and needs, and they are constantly changing. Any group needs to be able to evolve, by adding members, losing members, splitting into two or more groups, quitting one game, trying more games, or any other method of dealing with change.

I feel I do a lot to get people all enjoying games together. Being inclusive with whoever shows up, not expecting four people to all bend to accommodate one other. Raising an issue or moving on if I'm not enjoying something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London 2049 Campaign - The Sprawl

E-Town E-Now 1

E-Town E-Now 2