First Session: D&D Modern

I’m beginning to think that two players is the ideal number! I made a forum post on roll20.net a while back about playing D&D Fifth Edition with the Modern Magic rules addon. After some delays we went ahead with the first session last night. One player had dropped out before the first session came around, so there were three of us. I went over some ideas I had come up with, and everyone seemed happy with them. We decided to not name the city we were in, but we decided on dollars for the unit of currency. Another thing I had suggested was that most people in the world are unaware of anything supernatural. The player characters had somehow come into contact with the unexplained. One had been an underground bare knuckle fighter, who ended up fighting an orc. The other was a computer scientist who found messages within random blocks of code. They both had reasons to be at the same nightclub one fateful evening.

We had no grid which is how I usually run games, and that seemed to work well except for a couple of occasions. One player character went down from one shot from an Uzi, but got some first aid from a bystander. After the gunman was taken out by the other PC, she called for an ambulance. Why not!? It’s not the middle ages!

After the session I got a little feedback and one player mentioned the lack of a map or grid, which I had expected. It didn’t seem to be a big problem, just something to get used to. I felt that there wasn’t much in terms of combat and encounters, more scene setting and descriptions. Now that I’ve actually spoken to the players I’m finding it a lot easier to come up with plans for the game. The supernatural organizations have been rivals for hundreds for years, but something has changed and now all out war is brewing. The normal world can’t remain unaffected forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London 2049 Campaign - The Sprawl

E-Town E-Now 1

E-Town E-Now 2